20080702

LAZARUS sure can play guitar

I'm the guy in the threadbare tight white t-shirt at the carnival with the five days' stubble on his face who pulls the levers that make the twist-a-whirl go round and round. You love those orange, yellow and blue lights, of course, and you love the trails of light they leave in the air when they spin. All this taken into consideration you might kind of love me, too, standing there in my t-shirt and jeans, taking the kids' tickets and pulling the levers to make the big whirlygig spin, watching to make sure no one gets decapitated. Cause I'm the guy who makes it all happen: I am the carnival made flesh, and there's nothing in the world better than the carnival. I mean, this is what we live and work for, so we can come to the carnival, right? You let me know when I get something wrong. Oh you think I'm something pretty special all right, and there's something romantic, you’re sure, about my gypsy carnival life. But let me tell you something, and I'm gonna give it to you straight and true: when I go back to my trailer after the carnival closes up, after all the kids have gone home crying on daddy's or big sister's shoulder, and I eat tuna out of the can with a plastic thing that's half spoon and half fork -- well now, there's nothing so romantic about me now, is there? And I'm willing to bet you don't think I'm so romantic. And I'm willing to bet you ain't in such a big rush to swap places with me after all now, are you?